The most reliable way to advance your career is to outgrow your current position.
It’s really that simple – you need to make a commitment to GROW!
Who would YOU choose?
Think about this: Put yourself in the position of a senior-level manager at your company. Who would you promote?
- The person who comes to work every day on time, is reliable and does exactly what they’re told to do – but not one iota more.
- The person who does all that plus frequently comes to you with new ideas for increasing the efficiency of your department or for making your products or services better, is always learning new skills and thinks strategically about the future of your organization.
Of course, you would hire number 2. He’s the one around which you can build an empire, around which you can grow your business.
That’s the whole focus of my book, Up Your Impact: 52 Innovative Strategies to Add Value to Your Work. It teaches you how to cultivate a mindset that is focused on learning more, creating more and contributing more – not sitting back and waiting for more.
High achievers will never tell you this because they prefer less competition on the Extra Mile.
The timeless rules of success haven’t changed
Although the tools and technologies we utilize to get work done have changed dramatically, the principles of success haven’t changed:
- Success has always been about contribution and service, about doing more than you’re paid to do, and outgrowing your current position and circumstances.
- It’s about having a system for creative problem solving and noticing new opportunities, which aren’t usually obvious, but they are all around us.
- It’s about caring enough to bring your very best efforts to the people whom it is your privilege to serve.
- And it’s about differentiating yourself – so when a key position opens up in your company or industry, your name will be at the top of the list of candidates for it!
Personal development gurus like Earl Nightingale, Napoleon Hill and W. Clement Stone were unanimous: You need to contribute more, to create more, to grow as a human being in order to advance in your career. In today’s tough economy, no one’s going to hand you the brass ring. You need to reach for it yourself!
The choice is up to you
But here’s the thing: No one is going to give you permission to grow, personally or professionally. It’s a decision and a commitment that’s 100% up to YOU. So are you happy with your career as it stands today? Or are you ready to grow?